Wednesday, February 11, 2015

50 Shades

     Well, it's almost here, the long awaited movie '50 Shades Of Grey'. I have not read the book, nor will I, just as I will not be seeing the movie. That is my personal choice. I am sure there are many people who do like the book and will see the movie. I am not a fan of 50 Shades Of Grey so I can only speak from what I know about it based on what I've heard from friends as well as what little I have read online. My issue is not with the BDSM aspect of it, I see nothing wrong with that at all. I have friends who are actively involved in the BDSM lifestyle. My main issue is with the fact that, in my humble opinion, the true turn on from the movie stems from the fact that the main character is extremely wealthy. My question is, if the main character, Christian Grey, was just an average guy would the book have sold 100 million copies? If he was simply a plumber, teacher, police officer, handyman, factory worker or any other blue collar profession with a bondage room would he still be "dreamy" or would he be labeled a pervert? BDSM was once considered taboo but now thanks to 50 Shades it has become almost main stream. Suddenly soccer moms are reading it, women at the swim club, it seems like almost every woman I have spoken with has read the book or wanting to see the movie. If the book or movie helps introduce someone to possibly trying or experimenting with something new to "spice up" their love life, I think that is great. However is it the BDSM that has everyone intrigued or is it the fact that because the main character is extremely wealthy that it's "okay" that he happens to also be into BDSM? I'm curious to know your opinion. Answer my question in the comment section, if he were an average guy with a bondage room would it still have the same appeal?




No comments:

Post a Comment